Director of Finance and Operations
Director of Finance and Operations
Black Health seeks a seasoned, entrepreneurial Director of Finance and Operations to ensure overall operational and financial health of the organization.
As a key member of the Management Team, the DFO will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and will play a critical role in the overall strategic leadership of the organization.
The DFO will oversee and direct the finance, accounting, operations, IT and human resources functions. This is an ideal opportunity for a proven leader with a track record of successfully managing complex finances and operations for a multi-entity, non-profit organization that includes a 501(c)3.
The position is based in New York City and involves minimal travel. We are hiring for this position immediately. This position if full-time, with a salary of $102,000. Black Health provides a robust benefits package including medical/dental, 403(b), vacation accrual, flexible spending, sick leave and paid federal holidays.
What You’ll Do
- Lead and manage the NBLCH finances, as well as serve as a thought partner and member of the Management Team (MT), lead on HR and contribute to organizational vision and strategy and providing financial and HR oversight.
- Effectively advance strategic budgeting and financial tracking systems. Regularly communicate and present critical financial matters and risks to the CEO, COO and the board, as well as to key external stakeholders (e.g., funders, partner organizations).
- Develop and implement strategies to nurture an inclusive, healthy work culture that values different viewpoints and provides opportunities for all team members to grow.
Strategic Financial and Accounting Management
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long and short-range financial plans, monitoring the budget, advancing monthly financial reports and program spending reports, conferring on financial optimization and compliance, and suggesting wise courses of action to promote our financial health.
- Ensure seamless financial operations – including supervising a part-time accounting assistant and external accounting consultants; ensuring that all contracts, grants, and invoices are in order; and making sure that day-to-day financial processing is consistently smooth, transparent, and timely.
- Maintain or oversee the accounts payable and accounts receivable functions.
- Be in direct contact with our funders, ensuring that we are in compliance with all administrative and financial aspects of our grants and contracts.
- Provide senior leaders with regular financial reporting and forecasting in support of transparency and continuous progress towards achievement of goals/priorities.
- Work closely with grants management staff to provide timely and accurate grant/proposal budgets and reporting as needed by funders.
HR and Administrative Leadership
- Lead strategic and operational human resources; developing policies with HR consultants, provide HR support to supervisors across the organization as needed, managing payroll and benefits, ensuring compliance, and overseeing hiring and performance management.
- Manage all compliance and administrative matters, including working closely with external counsel to monitor changes in legal, regulatory and administrative environments; implementing changes in procedures as needed to maintain compliance.
Who you are
To be successful in this job, you will demonstrate the judgment, depth, and wisdom of a senior leader who can garner the admiration of the rest of our team of very smart, innovative, and detail oriented.
Fundamentally, we want someone who thrives in a world of systems and processes, enjoys figuring out how to make things work more efficiently, and who has the skills and seasoning to do that in our context. You have worked for non-profits and genuinely enjoy working with others and helping them succeed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, 7+ years non-profit experience.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Robust understanding of financial accounting within a c3 organization, with proven success managing organization-wide finances in at least 1-2 senior roles within similarly structured organizations.
Salary range: $95,000 – $102,000
To apply, please submit a cover letter with salary requirement and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.